Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pasta e fagioli

I spent Christmas this year at my new in-laws house celebrating with some lovely Swiss traditions, but realized once I got home that I missed some of the Italian traditions that I'm used to from growing up in Little Italy (aka Westerly, Rhode Island). I decided today was the perfect day for some pasta e fagioli. This soup is actually inspired by a pasta e fagioli I had in Greve in Chianti on my honeymoon, a meal I proclaim was the best meal I've ever had. I also decided that today was also the perfect day to document the soup in pictures ala Carla Jeffries' fantastic blog (see link list to the right and click on the 'il piatto blu' link) and because said wonderful in-laws bought me and Brian an awesome camera and we're quite the shutter bugs these days. Kindly do not judge the mess that is my kitchen, Brian and I are starting to remodel it next week and we've pretty much mailed it in with keeping it clean. Now to the soup . . .

 First, chop up a few things: about 1/10th of a pound of pancetta into cubes, 1-2 onions diced and 3-4 garlic cloves minced. I get the pancetta from the deli and usually order a quarter pound in thick slices. The nice deli man gave me three thick slices and I used one and a half of them. I used white onions because that's all that we had in the house, but any onion other than red will do. You'll also want to drain and rinse two cans of Great Northern or Cannellini beans. Later, you'll need a sprig or two of rosemary, so you may consider getting that out now too. I have a huge rosemary bush in my backyard (another spoil from the awesome in-laws) and I highly recommend you get one too.

Next, melt one tablespoon of butter in your stock pot. I tend to be a devoted olive oil girl, but this recipe does really well with butter. Once its melted, add your pancetta




Cook the pancetta for 5-15 minutes depending on how fatty the cut you have is. You want to make sure a good portion of the fat is rendered. 



Once the pancetta is a little crispy, add the diced onions and minced garlic and cook for 2-4 minutes until the onions start to get a little translucent. Now is also a good time to add any other seasoning you'd like. I put in a pinch of salt, some fresh ground pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Next, add a third to half of a bottle of white wine and the rosemary sprigs. I used a sweet white, but anything white will do. The wine adds some really good flavor, so unless you're a teetotaler, I strongly suggest adding it. Cook this for about 10 minutes so that the alcohol cooks away but the flavor cooks into the veggies. Then add the beans and 4-6 cups of stock. I used chicken stock but anything but beef should taste yummy. Simmer the soup for 20-40 minutes. I like to believe that the longer you simmer, the better it tastes, but I have no idea if that's actually true.


Once everything has happily simmered for a while and the broth tastes delicious, its time to blend this baby with your trusty stick blender. First, pull out the rosemary sprigs as they can sometimes taste a little bit like a tree. You can pull a few of the rosemary leaves off and keep them in the soup, but not the entire sprig, unless you like the taste of tree. Take the soup off the heat and blend until smooth. If you don't have a stick blender, you can use a stand blender, just be sure to cool the soup a bit first (or be ready to clean up the mess you'll make if you don't).


Lastly, put the soup back over medium heat, and add about 1/2 a cup of ditalini or other small pasta. If you can't find ditalini, rigatoni could work in a pinch. Cook for 6-7 minutes, you'll want the pasta to be al dente. If you're eating or serving the soup immediately, it will be a little thin but very delicious and surprisingly hearty. If you're going to refrigerate and eat later, be prepared for it to thicken a ton and only slightly thin out when reheated. It will still be delicious. The pasta has a tendency to sink to the bottom, so when doling out portions, be sure that you're ladling from the bottom or else you'll end with a serving of all pasta and many of all broth. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment